What use with Python

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Tue Jul 1 21:09:13 EDT 2014

On Jul 1, 2014, at 6:56 PM, rxjwg98 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Python. Weeks ago, I was asked about Python questions on an interview.
> Now I want to learn Python, but I do not know what I can do with it on a PC.
> Especially I would like to do something interesting instead of some text search etc.
> Python may can do more than I realize now. Could you tell me something on a PC?
>
> Thanks,
> --

Python is a completely general purpose programming language.  It has extensive libraries that adapt it to tackle almost any programming problem (with the possible exception of device drivers).  Those libraries include several graphics packages and GUI frameworks, libraries for doing network programming, for performing heavy-duty numerical analysis (number crunching) and scientific data analysis, as well as web applications, semantic analysis, statistical analysis, and which will interface it to any of several databases.

Examples of well-known Python programs running “in the wild” include YouTube and Bit Torrent.

Well written Python programs (that is, those that use Python’s abstracted OS services) run equally well on a PC, a Mac, UNIX, and Linux.

-Bill