Discussion problems of monoculture (was: What's the "right" way to abandon an open source package?)

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 1 19:34:48 EDT 2014

Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01 Jul 2014 18:40:23 GMT
> > Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> >> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201405/github_monoculture.html
> >
> > Everyone who (re)posts stuff like that should have mandatory N.B. of "I
> > just bought a server farm to offer an alternative".
>
> There already are alternatives.

Even if there weren't, I cannot at all agree with Paul's sentiment.

Someone raising awareness of a problem is *not* under any obligation to
stay silent in the absence of a complete ready solution.

Frequently, a solution can only realistically come when *many* people
talk about the problem first; all the more so when the problem described
is one of large scale.

--
 \        “Sane people have an appropriate perspective on the relative |
  `\     importance of foodstuffs and human beings. Crazy people can't |