general module auditing

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 1 14:16:04 EDT 2014

On 1-7-2014 12:38, Rita wrote:
> i work in a group of developers (15 or so)  who are located globally. I
> would like to know what modules everyone is uses if I ever have to upgrade
> my python. Is there mechanism which will let me see who is using what?
>
> ie,
>
> tom,matplotlib
> bob, pylab
> nancy, numpy
> nancy, matplotlib
>
> etc...

Well, if your group is all using Pip (and perhaps even virtualenv), you could use pip
list. In my case:

$ pip list
appdirs (1.3.0)
colorama (0.3.1)
cytoolz (0.6.1)
docutils (0.11)
Jinja2 (2.7.3)
MarkupSafe (0.23)
pip (1.5.6)
py (1.4.20)
pyflakes (0.8.1)
Pygments (1.6)
serpent (1.5, d:\projects\serpent)
setuptools (4.0.1)
smartypants (1.8.3)
Sphinx (1.2.2)
Sphinx-PyPI-upload (0.2.1)
tox (1.7.1)
virtualenv (1.11.6)
wheel (0.23.0)

You can even use pip freeze and use the resulting output as a requirements.txt file to
easily install everything using pip install -r.

Hope this is an idea to get you started?

Irmen