What's the "right" way to abandon an open source package?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:59:48 EDT 2014

Hello,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 12:30:44 -0500
Skip Montanaro <skip at python.org> wrote:

> This is only Python-related because the package in question (lockfile
> at PyPI) is written in Python and hosted (at least in part) on PyPI. I
> have not had any interest in maintaining this package for a few years.
> I wrote it mostly as an exercise, and while I do happen to use it
> ever-so-slightly in my work, its state as of a few years ago is
> perfect for my modest needs. Working on it no longer scratches any
> itches for me. I'd much rather be out riding my bike. I'm at the point
> in my professional career that I no longer want to program at home
> after spending all day programming at work. I've tried to find people
> to take it over, but so far unsuccessfully. I continue to get bug
> reports, some from OS package maintainers or maintainers of
> applications which use lockfile. Lots of these people seem demanding
> of my time (which makes me even less interested in lockfile
> maintenance). Is there a "correct" way to abandon the damn thing?

Put it on github and reply to any request with "patches welcome!".
That's assuming it's ok for you once a month to go thru pull request
queue and press "Merge" or "Close" buttons. If that's too hard, then
well, don't press those buttons - someone else will pick those pulls
into one's own fork and will maintain it.