Try-except-finally paradox

Göktuğ Kayaalp self at gkayaalp.com
Fri Jan 31 20:58:19 EST 2014

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

I do not have any information on the topic, but I *imagine* that the
when RETURN_VALUE opcode is evaluated within the context of an except
block, it triggers a check for whether a corresponding finally block
exists and should it exist, it is triggered, much like a callback.
So, my *imaginary* algorithm works like this:

return:
  if within an except block EB:
    if EB has a correspoinding final block FB
      run FB
    else
      do return
  else
    do return

In Jessica's example, as the finally block executes a RETURN_VALUE
opcode, and as this is *probably* a jump to the caller, the rest of the
code does not get a chance to be executed.

As I have said earlier, I by no means assert the truth of this idea I've
explained here, but it seems quite reasonable to me.

          gk