Python shell wont open IDLE or an exisiting .py files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 30 04:37:34 EST 2014

On 1/29/2014 11:16 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>
>> On 1/29/2014 6:26 PM, shangonichols at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>>>   > If I launch the Python GUI it opens a Python Shell fine. But as
>>>   > soon as I try to open a file (including a "new" file), it closes
>>>   > the Shell.
>>
>> This I do not. What is 'Python GUI'? What is 'Python Shell'?
>
> Those are (part of) the names of menu entries created by the Python
> installer for MS Windows. I am not sure exactly what programs they
> invoke.

One entry is 'IDLE (Python GUI)'. I have never seen Idle referred to as
'Python GUI' as the later is non-specific and could refer to wxpython or
pyqt or some other Python GUI.

Idle open a window called Python x.y.z Shell (until recently just Shell).

The other menu entry is 'Python (Command line)' and I am guessing that
the paragraph above has nothing to do with this entry.

--
Terry Jan Reedy