Python shell wont open IDLE or an exisiting .py files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 29 22:38:15 EST 2014

On 1/29/2014 6:26 PM, shangonichols at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I am on Windows 8, Python 3.3.4 and 3.3.3 and all previous versions
> exhibit the same problem on my Windows 8 PC. This problem occurred out
> of nowhere overnight. It was working fine for months until today.

Try the following, which I believe I said before.

1. Start the normal console interpreter 'Python (command interpreter)'
in the Start Menu.
2. In the interpreter, type
 >>> import idlelib.idle
3. Open a file. If Idle quits,
4. If Idle quits, look in the console for an exception message.
5. If you do not understand it, *copy and paste the entire message* here.
6. If the Python console also closes, report here.

>  >  I tried to open a file and nothing happened. If I tried to open a
> .py file
>  > (any .py file) from an existing instance of IDLE, it briefly flashed up a
>  > new window and then closed both the new window and the existing window
>  > (normally it opens the requested in a new window leaving the existing
> window
>  > untouched).

This much I understood.

>  > If I launch the Python GUI it opens a Python Shell fine. But as soon as I
>  > try to open a file (including a "new" file), it closes the Shell.

This I do not. What is 'Python GUI'? What is 'Python Shell'?

--
Terry Jan Reedy