Help: python 3.3.3 (AMD64) scripts fail as non-admin user on Windows Server 2012 R2

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Jan 27 03:40:56 EST 2014

On 26/01/2014 22:30, Luis Marsano wrote:
> I've installed python for all users with full permissions to all users
> (see picture).
> Python runs for all users.
> However, scripts only work when I run as Administrator.
> Running a script always results in an "ImportError: cannot import name" error.

As Steven's pointed out, this looks more like a Windows permissions
issue. However, it would still be worth identifying what's going on, as
I haven't run Python on a 2012 box (and I doubt if many other people
have either). I'm getting a VM run up to try it out but that will take a
while.

It may be that some hardened security is preventing Python from reading
its own files. Could you, please, do the simplest of imports which
fails, and post the traceback from the console in its entirety? (In
other words, something like this):

"""
Python 3.3.3 (v3.3.3:c3896275c0f6, Nov 18 2013, 21:18:40) [MSC v.1600 32
bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import willnotimport
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named 'willnotimport'

"""

It would be good to know whether *anything* imports, ie whether stdlib
imports work, or whether it's just user-installed modules.

Thanks

TJG