Python declarative

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Sun Jan 26 01:03:18 EST 2014

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote in message
news:52e473fc$0$29999$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 09:18:44 +0200, Frank Millman wrote:
>
>> I have realised that we unlikely to come to an agreement on this in the
>> near future, as our philosophies are completely different.
>>
>> You [Chris Angelo] have stated that your objective is to express as
>> much as possible in Python code.
>>
>> I have stated that my objective is to express as little as possible in
>> Python code.
>
> Interesting perspective.

[...]

I did not really want to continue this, but I have to respond to that.

There is a sub-context within which I made my statement.

Here is a quote from one of my earlier posts -

> Each form definition is stored as gzip'd XML in a database, and linked to
> the
> menu system. There is just one python program that responds to the
> selection
> of a menu option, retrieves the form from the database, unpacks it and
> runs it.

I do not expect anyone to read or edit the XML - it is just a storage
format. I am sure it could be done in JSON or YAML as well.

One objective is to make it easy for non-programmers to modify forms and
create new ones. I showed a screenshot earlier that illustrated a 'button'
definition.

Frank