Need Help with Programming Science Project

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 24 19:59:50 EST 2014

bob gailer <bgailer at gmail.com> writes:

> On 1/24/2014 5:05 AM, theguy wrote:
> > I would post the code, but I don't know if it's fine to put it here,
> > as it contains pieces from books. I do believe that would go against
> > copyright laws.

> AFAIK copyright laws apply to reproducing something for profit.

That's a common misconception that has never been true.

<URL:http://www.faqs.org/faqs/law/copyright/myths/part1/>

Copyright is a legal monopoly in a work, reserving a large set of
actions to the copyright holders. Without license from the copyright
holders, or an exemption under the law, you cannot legally perform those
actions.

Paying money may sometimes help one acquire a license to perform some
reserved actions (though frequently the license is severely restricted,
and frequently the license you need isn't available for any price).

But “I'm not seeking a profit” nor “I didn't get any money for it” are
never grounds for copyright exemptions under any jurisdiction I've ever
heard of.

--
 \           “People are very open-minded about new things, as long as |
  `\         they're exactly like the old ones.” —Charles F. Kettering |