Single Object Detection and Tracking Steps

hottrack88 at gmail.com hottrack88 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 04:44:02 EST 2014

I am doing single object detection and tracking in a video file using python & opencv2. As far I know the steps are,

Video to frame conversion
Grayscale conversion
Thresholding
After phase 3, I got sequence of binary images.

My questions are:

How to identify (detect) whether the object is moving or not?
How to get(track) the object moving coordinates(x,y position)?
Which method should I use for these?
I got confused with the words like SIFT feature, Kalman filter, Particle filter, optical flow filter etc. Please help me by giving next upcoming steps details.

Thanks in advance.