The potential for a Python 2.8.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 20:16:29 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>> The noise asking for a 2.8 isn't going to die down any time soon.
>
> I suspect you meant "isn't going to die completely"

Sorry, yeah. "die off" is the expression I should have used.
Presumably it *will* die down in between the renewals, otherwise we
wouldn't recognize the renewals.

>> It'll flare up again every time there's a significant event in the
>> 2.7's end of life: when it goes into source-only support, when its
>> python.org support ends entirely, when Debian's next version won't
>> ship it, when Red Hat's ditto ditto, when it's no longer possible to
>> get it from Ubuntu's repositories, etc, etc, etc. And no amount of
>> "There will be no 2.8 unless you make it yourself!" will change that.
>>
>> That's my prediction.
>
> Sadly, mine too. Maybe the flareup peaks will gradually become lower. Or
> maybe they will not be discussed so much on python-list.

Maybe. I suspect that python-list and/or python-dev will see at least
some of the traffic, though - when (say) Debian-next is stated as no
longer shipping with any Python 2.7, there'll be a bunch of Debian
users coming along asking why there won't be a 2.8, and repeat for any
other major distribution in place of Debian.

ChrisA