The potential for a Python 2.8.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 23 19:42:41 EST 2014

On 1/23/2014 4:57 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> http://regebro.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/the-potential-for-a-python-2-8/
>
> I pretty much agree with the author.

Except for one paragraph, which I consider a disservice to readers.

"Does that mean a Python 2.8 can not happen? No, it can. If the Python
"core developers decide that Python 3 was a dead end, then obviously a
"Python 2.8 will happen. But that is a big if, and it certainly isn’t
"going to happen anytime soon.

This will never happen. Python 3 is the escape from several dead-ends in
Python 2. The biggest in impact is the use of un-accented latin chars as
text in a global, unicode world.

"The other way it can happen if somebody forks Python 2, and makes a
"Python 2.8. It will have to be released under another name, though,
"but should “Psnakes 2.8″ become a big success, this may also change
"the core developers minds.

Not mine, and I am sure many if not all others. I believe Python 3 is
already more successful than my first Python, 1.3, was. Python 3 is the
bugfix for several design bugs in Python 1 and 2. The idea that we would
we *ever* unfix those bugs is ludicrous.

>  In fact, the sooner this whole
> ludicrous idea of Python 2.8 has been buried under a massive avalanche
> or cremated in a sizeable volcano, then the better for the future of
> Python development.

Burying 'Python 2.8' was the purpose of PEP 404. It is kind of bizarre.
Developers informally said 'No 2.8'. People would not believe that. So
developers formally said 'No 2.8'. They even inverted the purpose of PEP
to make the formal announcement visible and permanent. And a few people
still do not want to believe it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy