SQLite + FTS (full text search)

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Thu Jan 23 07:20:31 EST 2014

Hi,

On my Debian stable 64-bit system, SQLite3 has FTS (full text search) enabled (although at version 3 rather than the recommended version 4):

Python 3.2.3 (default, Feb 20 2013, 14:44:27) [GCC 4.7.2] on linux2
>>> import sqlite3
>>> con = sqlite3.connect(":memory:")
>>> cur = con.execute("pragma compile_options")
>>> for row in cur:
	print(row)
('ENABLE_FTS3',)

But on Windows when I use the official Python 3.3 32-bit binary from www.python.org this is not enabled.

My guess is that on Debian, the packagers install a full SQLite 3 and the Python package uses that. But on Windows I think the Python packagers bundle their own SQLite (quite rightly since it might not already be installed).

I'd like the Windows binary to include SQLite 3 with FTS4 support, but I don't know how much work that involves or if it would make the Python .msi file too big?

Anyway, I guess if anyone else is interested in this they could perhaps reply to indicate this?

If you're curious about the feature, it is documented here:
http://www.sqlite.org/fts3.html