Case insensitive exists()?

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Wed Jan 22 20:27:48 EST 2014

On 2014-01-23 00:58, Larry Martell wrote:
> I have the need to check for a files existence against a string, but I
> need to do case-insensitively. I cannot efficiently get the name of
> every file in the dir and compare each with my string using lower(),
> as I have 100's of strings to check for, each in a different dir, and
> each dir can have 100's of files in it. Does anyone know of an
> efficient way to do this? There's no switch for os.path that makes
> exists() check case-insensitively is there?

You don't say which OS. Filenames in Windows, for example, are already
case-insensitive.

Try writing it the simplest and cleanest way, without thinking about
efficiency. If you discover that it really is too slow (you can always
try a smaller test case initially), then you can think about how to
speed it up.