Can post a code but afraid of plagiarism

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Jan 21 22:46:52 EST 2014

In article <c8157920-dca7-4049-b677-56178d2590ba at googlegroups.com>,
 Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was working in a large sw-development company some years ago.
> One day unexpectedly I found I could not download any more the FOSS sw
> I regularly use.  What happened??
>
> Evidently a programmer had copied GPL code off the net, passed it off
> as his own, it had gone past the local company'a managers and been
> detected by the off-shore client-company.  Evidently a dose of GPLd
> code is as salutary for the health of commercial sw companies as a
> polonium capsule is for humans.

Absolutely.  Most open-source code comes with license restrictions.
"You are free to use this, but if you do, you are obligated to do these
things..."  Certainly, GPL comes with obligations.  If one of your
employees grabs some GPL stuff off the net and puts it into your
product, you are now obligated to do those things.  Those may be
obligations you're not willing to commit to.