Diving in to Python - Best resources?

notbob notbob at nothome.com
Tue Jan 21 21:19:57 EST 2014

On 2014-01-20, Matt Watson <mattwatson.mail at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question to you guys is... for someone like me, what route would
> you take to learning Python? "Learn Python the Hard Way" sounds like
> a good route, but I prefer some testimony before I make a
> purchase.

You sound a lot like myself, in that you are easily frustrated.  I
discovered long ago I'm NOT a programmer.  I've dipped a toe into
basic, html, C, bash script, lisp, etc, but have never gotten beyond
the "pissed" and/or "bored-to-tears" level.  Much of this is due to
almost every single book/tutorial/howto/etc having either mistakes in
the code or crippling omissions, requiring a 30 min search on the web,
jes like you sed.  I hate that!

So, Learning Python the Hard way.  I love it!!  No mistakes.  No
omissions.  Everthing explained.  I'm about a doz lessons in and the
author has me chuckling (he has a sense of humor) with pleased delight
after I successfully complete a lesson.  I also use the 2.7.6 Python
Standard Library as a reference in case I wanna know more.  I'm
enrolled in an online python course starting in Mar and I'm hoping
LPtHW will get me sufficiently primed.  I think it will.  I highly
recommend it.

nb