autoconf tools and python3 3m 3dm

Asaf Las roegltd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 18:18:10 EST 2014

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:55:13 PM UTC+2, Mark Heieis wrote:
> Hi,
> would work either as one would need to know in advance specifically
> which one to call and there'd be extra work to extract the full version
> info, etc. ("$python3-config --includes" yields
> -I/usr/include/python3.3m -I/usr/include/python3.3m)
> Has anyone else come up against this? If so, what was the solution?
> BTW - anyone know what the 'm' and 'dm' suffixes indicate?
> TIA.

I use recommended approach as below:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make && make altinstall

and  have base 2.6 came with CENTOS, 2.7 and 3.3 installed later
and working without problem. see below

[root at localhost etc]# which python3.3
/usr/local/bin/python3.3
[root at localhost etc]# which python2.7
/usr/local/bin/python2.7
[root at localhost etc]# which python
/usr/bin/python