Python 3.x adoption

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:25:17 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Travis Griggs <travisgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I’ve had a bunch of interns around me lately though, wanting to get into python, and this is where I find the momentum really breaks down. If newcomers go to take an online course in python, they might try MIT’s Open Courseware (who doesn’t want to learn from the illustrious MIT after all?). They’ll be taught Python 2, not 3.

Courses are inherently laggy. I don't know how long it takes to write
a course, get it approved, and then advertise it so you get some
students, but I suspect it's a good while. I'd say that it's only
since 3.3 (some would argue 3.2, others 3.4) that Py3 has been the
clear winner in the new-application debate; give it a few more years
before courses start teaching Py3. Of course, anyone who comes to a
rapid communication venue like python-list can learn the state of the
art (in the original sense), but if you want a degree in Comp Sci and
you have to take X courses to get it, chances are you'll learn Py2
along the way.

ChrisA