Can post a code but afraid of plagiarism

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 20 16:56:29 EST 2014

On 1/20/2014 9:08 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

> That's a little harsh.  Working in groups, and sharing code, are
> important parts of how software gets developed today.  Those
> collaborative work habits should indeed be taught.

Until recently, teaching collaboration through group projects has had
the problem of leeching. Asking group members to grade each other's
participation and contributions does not work too well. My daughter ran
into this problem in her first programming class where
private-until-done 'group' work was too much her work. In her second
class, there was discussion of each other's coding problems *in the
class*, in front of the teacher, and she enjoyed that much more.

It is now possible to run collaboration through software that records
interaction. My daughter took a composition class where discussion and
review of each other's work was recorded and contributed to each
person's grade. But this was not collaborative writing, which would be
another level of interaction, and one which is common beyond college
classes.

A programming class (probably best after the first) could use a real
(meaning, used outside of classes) repository and tracker. *That* would
better prepare people for later work, whether on a job or as an
open-source volunteer.

--
Terry Jan Reedy