Diving in to Python - Best resources?

Matt Watson mattwatson.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 14:34:16 EST 2014

Getting in the habit of dropping in a google group for any new project - everyone tends to be so helpful.

I work in the automotive sales industry(management) and find myself doing so many day to day tasks that could easily be automated. I'm a very tech saavy person, but after running in fear from a Javascript class in undergrad 8 years ago I haven't ever looked back. I simply had no interest because I saw no applications.

Now that I have a solid career I see SO many applications for programming in my industry alone. Automating data movement/calculations from websites, spreadsheets, pricing, etc will be my primary use. I'm OK saying I didn't retain 1% of what I learned in the Javascript class, I've dabbled in HTML, I've tweaked code in Excel macros or AutoIt scripts, but I'd classify myself as a complete beginner in programming.

Like a kid, I learn by tearing things apart and watching them tick. I have started the Code Academy on Python, but I'm not sure a constant IV dosage of adderall could keep my attention. I also run into exercises that absolutely lose me and I have to spend 30 minutes googling a solution because the lesson and hints are useless.

My question to you guys is... for someone like me, what route would you take to learning Python? "Learn Python the Hard Way" sounds like a good route, but I prefer some testimony before I make a purchase. Again, I understand the details are the building blocks of programming, but I don't think I can handle writing 10 lines of true/false (boolean right?) calculations on Code Academy only for the next course to speak a foreign language to me. Any other methods you would suggest? I've even considered auditing a college class if I can find one for Python.

Thanks in advance!