Can post a code but afraid of plagiarism

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jan 20 09:08:28 EST 2014

In article <mailman.5735.1390198899.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I did a short time of teaching while I was in school.  If three
> > students all turned in the same assignment, they all got docked
> > significantly.  There was no "who copied off of whom?", it was
> > "someone shared when they shouldn't have."
>
> What a wonderful way to promote an attitude of "my code is MY CODE and
> should never leave my sight". What a delightful way of thinking to
> unleash on the world.

That's a little harsh.  Working in groups, and sharing code, are
important parts of how software gets developed today.  Those
collaborative work habits should indeed be taught.  But, school is also
about evaluation of progress.  At the end of the class, the teacher
needs some objective way to figure out how much each student has learned
and assign a grade.  It's hard to do that if people aren't handing in
assignments done individually.