Can post a code but afraid of plagiarism

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 03:48:41 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM, indar kumar <indarkumar59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I tried to ask some questions but I was discouraged to do so saying that I was working on a project or some assignment. Truth be told I am stuck at one point and since I don't have experience with programming language, I have been working for it for two days but couldn't come up with some idea so posted some questions of the same format just to know whether there is particular method etc to do so. Hint would have been enough but I was strictly discouraged.

Here's my policy on homework. Others may vary, but you'll find a lot
will be broadly similar.

When you take a course, you should be learning, not just passing. That
means that getting someone else to do your work for you is completely
wrong, so I won't help you. But if you've put down some code and it's
not working, then by all means, ask for help with the details; it's
easy if you have an error message you don't understand (you might be
able to get that by Googling it), but a lot harder if you're getting
output you don't understand, and then it can help a LOT to have an
expert look at your code. You would need to post your code and exactly
what you're seeing as wrong (exception traceback, or "expected this
output, got this instead"); and if you make it clear up-front that
it's homework and you're looking for hints rather than an
answer-on-a-plate, I'm happy to help.

What you will find, though, is that most requests are more of the
nature of "please do my homework for me", so people are more likely to
be annoyed than helpful when they see what's obviously homework. So
you have a bit of an uphill battle just to get heard. But if you can
show that you're here to learn - and showing that you've already
written most of the code is a good way to do that - you can get help,
and often a lot of it.

ChrisA