doctests compatibility for python 2 & python 3

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 06:30:46 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do your test strings contain any non-ASCII characters? If not, you
> might be able to do this:
>
> def func(a):
>     """
>     >>> str(func(u'aaa'))
>     'aaa'
>     """
>     return a

Actually, probably better than that:

def func(a):
    """
    >>> text(func(u'aaa'))
    'aaa'
    """
    return a

try:
    class text(unicode): # Will throw NameError in Py3
        def __repr__(self):
            return unicode.__repr__(self)[1:]
except NameError:
    # Python 3 doesn't need this wrapper.
    text = str

Little helper class that does what I don't think monkey-patching will
do. I've tested this and it appears to work in both 2.7.4 and 3.4.0b2,
but that doesn't necessarily mean that the repr of any given Unicode
string will be exactly the same on both versions. It's likely to be
better than depending on the strings being ASCII, though.

ChrisA