Compiling main script into .pyc

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jan 17 03:40:41 EST 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 23:43:02 -0500, Dave Angel wrote:

> MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> Wrote in message:

>>> Duh? Just import it!
>>>
>> What if you want to just compile it? Importing will run it!
>>

> Importing will only run the portion of the code not protected by
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":

Nevertheless, there is no need to run *any* of the code just to compile
it.

[steve at ando ~]$ cat sample.py
print("Hello!")

[steve at ando ~]$ ls sample.pyc
ls: sample.pyc: No such file or directory
[steve at ando ~]$ python -m compileall sample.py
Compiling sample.py ...
[steve at ando ~]$ ls sample.p*
sample.py  sample.pyc
[steve at ando ~]$ python sample.pyc