Is it possible to protect python source code by compiling it to .pyc or .pyo?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 16 20:07:26 EST 2014

Sam <lightaiyee at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to protect my python source code.

Protect it from what? If there's some specific activity you want to
prevent or restrict, please say what it is, since “protect” is a rather
loaded term.

> It need not be foolproof as long as it adds inconvenience to pirates.

I doubt your software will be at risk from pirates, which are raiders on
the high seas.

If you mean something more specific, please explain, because “pirate” is
an even more loaded term that doesn't explain.

--
 \          “Instead of a trap door, what about a trap window? The guy |
  `\      looks out it, and if he leans too far, he falls out. Wait. I |