Converting folders of jpegs to single pdf per folder

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Jan 16 14:41:04 EST 2014

On 16/01/2014 19:11, Harry Spier wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I have a directory that contains about a hundred subdirectories named
> J0001,J0002,J0003 . . . etc.
> Each of these subdirectories contains about a hundred JPEGs named
> P001.jpg, P002.jpg, P003.jpg etc.
>
> I need to write a python script that will cycle thru each directory and
> convert ALL JPEGs in each directory into a single PDF file and save
> these PDF files (one per directory) to an output file.
>
> Any pointers on how to do this with a Python script would be
> appreciated. Reading on the internet it appears that using ImageMagick
> wouldn't work because of using too much memory. Can this be done using
> the Python Image Library or some other library? Any sample code would
> also be appreciated.

The usual go-to library for PDF generation is ReportLab. I haven't used
it for a long while but I'm quite certain it would have no problem
including images.

Do I take it that it's the PDF-generation side of things you're asking
about? Or do you need help iterating over hundreds of directories and files?

TJG