Python program distribution - a source of constant friction

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 06:13:51 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:

[SNIP]

> Even so, things like that are harder to create than they
> could be, or less prominently documented than one might have expected.
>
> Case in point: I have an application a friend/colleague of mine would like
> to look at.  I've no idea if he is running Debian or Redhat or FreeBSD or a
> Mac.  Assuming I've not used any C extensions, it is *possible* to create
> something that will run on all of the above without any fuss at his end.  It
> just isn't nearly as easy as it could be, which must be a shame.
>
> Nicholas.

In a spirit of trying to not only highlight problems, but start to solve them:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ncdistribute/

Feedback is very welcome.  Version 1 is a naive approach - it doesn't
filter the included files at all, and will include all detected
dependencies that are not part of the standard library.

Best wishes,

Nicholas