Python Scalability TCP Server + Background Game

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 16:08:19 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:37 AM,  <phiwer at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) The game server has a player limit of 50000. My requirement/desire is to be able to serve 50k requests per second (without any caching layer, although the game server will cache data), so people don't get a poor user experience during high peaks.

Quick smoke test. How big are your requests/responses? You mention
REST, which implies they're going to be based on HTTP. I would expect
you would have some idea of the rough size. Multiply that by 50,000,
and see whether your connection can handle it. For instance, if you
have a 100Mbit/s uplink, supporting 50K requests/sec means your
requests and responses have to fit within about 256 bytes each,
including all overhead. You'll need a gigabit uplink to be able to
handle a 2KB request or response, and that's assuming perfect
throughput. And is 2KB enough for you?

ChrisA