Python 3.x adoption

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 10:43:17 EST 2014

Here we go again…

On Jan 14, 2014, at 11:33 AM, Staszek <noreply at eisenbits.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What's the problem with Python 3.x? It was first released in 2008, but
> web hosting companies still seem to offer Python 2.x rather.
>
> For example, Google App Engine only offers Python 2.7.
>
> What's wrong?...

Maybe what it means is that Python3 is just fine, but Google App Engine isn’t seeing a lot of development/improvement lately, that it’s just in maintenance mode. Imagine that, Google not finishing/maintaining something.

I wish amongst the periodic maelstroms of Python2 vs Python3 handwringing, people would look at the new project starts. When I work with someone’s old library that they’ve moved on from, I use python2 if I have to, but anytime I can, I use python3.

Personally, I wish they’d start python4, sure would take the heat out of the 3 vs 2 debates. And maybe there’d be a program called twentyfour as a result.