proposal: bring nonlocal to py2.x

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 08:19:19 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:
> On 13/01/2014 15:28, Chris Angelico wrote:
>

>> It's even worse than that, because adding 'nonlocal' is not a bugfix.
>> So to be committed to the repo, it has to be approved for either 2.7
>> branch (which is in bugfix-only maintenance mode) or 2.8 branch (which
>> does not exist). Good luck. :)

> fixing badly named variables is not a bug fix either, but that has happened
> in python 2.7. A micro change release changed
>
> compiler.consts.SC_GLOBAL_EXPLICT

> compiler.consts.SC_GLOBAL_EXPLICIT
>
> this is a change of api for the consts module (if you regard exported
> variables as part of its api), but that didn't count for the developers.

Hmm. I'd say that one's arguable; that's clearly a misspelled name. It
comes down to the release manager's decision on points like that. I
would say that adding a new keyword and a whole pile of new semantics
is a bit bigger than renaming one constant :) But yes, this could
break code in a point release, and that's a potential issue.

ChrisA