Python 3.x adoption

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jan 14 21:55:10 EST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:33:50 +0100, Staszek wrote:

> Hi
>
> What's the problem with Python 3.x?

Nothing.

> It was first released in 2008,

That was only five years ago.

I know that to young kids today who change their iPhone every six months,
five years sounds like a lot, but in the world of mature software, five
years is a blink of the eye. People still use Fortran code that is 30
years old. I know of at least one person supporting a Python 1.5 system,
which is about 15 years old. RedHat is still providing commercial support
for Python 2.3, and their Python 2.7 commercial support won't end until
2023 or 2024.

> but web hosting companies still seem to offer Python 2.x rather.
>
> For example, Google App Engine only offers Python 2.7.
>
> What's wrong?...

Hosting companies are conservative. Just look at how many still offer old
versions of PHP. These guys offer PHP 5.2 to 5.5:

http://www.a2hosting.com/php-hosting

WordPress will run on PHP 4.1!

So it is no surprise that Python hosting companies still mostly provide
2.7.

--
Steven