What's correct Python syntax?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 05:16:16 EST 2014

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:32:24 PM UTC+5:30, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, Rustom,

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Rustom Mody  wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:55:00 PM UTC+5:30, Igor Korot wrote:
> >> What if I want field 2 and field 3? ("seq 200" and "length 30")
> > Wee you did say:
> >> I'm interesred in only one element, so why should care about everything else?
> > So its not clear what you want!

> Sorry, I thought it would be easier to ask this way. Guess not.

> I am actually looking for a way to get a result from split which is
> sliced the way I want. Like in my example above.
> I mean I can probably make more variable by creating a tuple, but why?
> What is the purpose if I want only couple elements out of split.
> Doing it Perl way does not help:

> C:\Documents and Settings\Igor.FORDANWORK\Desktop\winpdb>python
> Python 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:43:36) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32

You want this?

>>> test = "I,like,my,chocolate"
>>> test.split(',')
['I', 'like', 'my', 'chocolate']
>>> test.split(',')[2:4]
['my', 'chocolate']

> Well is there a Python way to do what I want?

Well I for one still dont get what you want!!

Heres a python one-liner using regexps
>>> re.findall(r,data)
[('192.168.1.6', '192.168.1.7', '30')]

Note: I am NOT suggesting you use regexps. Just that they will do what you want if you are so inclined