Code review?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jan 13 15:43:53 EST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 03:40:25 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Incidentally, is there a reason you're using Python 2.6? You should be
> able to upgrade at least to 2.7, and Flask ought to work fine on 3.3
> (the current stable Python). If it's the beginning of your project, and
> you have nothing binding you to Python 2, go with Python 3. Converting a
> small project now will save you the job of converting a big project in
> ten years' time

Everything you say is correct, but remember that there is a rather large
ecosystem of people writing code to run on servers where the supported
version of Python is 2.6, 2.5, 2.4 and even 2.3. RedHat, for example,
still has at least one version of RHEL still under commercial support
where the system Python is 2.3, at least that was the case a few months
back, it may have reached end-of-life by now. But 2.4 will definitely
still be under support.

(I don't believe there is any mainstream Linux distro still supporting
versions older than 2.3.)

Not everyone is willing, permitted or able to install Python other than
that which their OS provides, and we ought to respect that.

Hell, if somebody wants to ask questions about Python 1.5, we can answer
them! The core language is still recognisably Python, a surprisingly
large number of libraries were around back then (it was Python 1.4 or 1.5
which first got the reputation of "batteries included"), and I for one
still have it installed so I can even test code for it.

--
Steven