Porting mailing list underused?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 11 16:51:53 EST 2014

On 10/01/2014 21:31, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 10/01/2014 20:38, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>>> Anyone in the
>>> know who can explain this phenomenon?
>>
>> I don't think I can explain it authoritatively, but I can hazard a
>> guess. Skimming the archives sorted by author, it looks like most/all
>> the correspondents are Python core developers. That leads me to
>> believe this was a list created for the core Python developers to
>> discuss issues related to porting tools such as 2to3 or six. I doubt
>> it was intended for Python programmers to get help porting their own
>> code. From the Python core development perspective, I think automated
>> porting tools are likely pretty mature at this point and don't warrant
>> a lot of discussion.
>>
>> Skip
>>

> If the dumbo OP had remembered to say that
> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-porting states rather
> vaguely "This list is to contain discussion of porting Python code
> between versions, mainly from Python 2.x to 3.x." it might have helped
> garner more answers.  Still, if we leave the list open for long enough
> we'll all be able to discuss porting python 2.x to python 4.x :)

I've now found this
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-December/083951.html

QUOTE
It is a public mailing list open to everyone.  We expect active
participation of many people porting their libraries/programs, and hope
that the list can be a help to all wanting to go this (not always smooth
:-) way.
ENDQUOTE

Strikes me that if more people had participated, or maybe even known
about it, we currently wouldn't be on the edge of WWIII regarding PEP 460.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence