Send array back in result from urllib2.urlopen(request, postData)

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jan 10 18:12:46 EST 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:57:59 -0800 (PST), vanommen.robert at gmail.com
wrote:

No idea about the php..

> In python when i do

> para = result.read()
> print para

> the output is:
> [null,null,null,null,null,"J"]

That's a string that just looks like a list.

> This is correct according to the data in PHP from the mysql.

> when I do
> print para[1]

> the output is:

> the seccond character from the data. Why is this not the seccond
datafield?

There are no data fields in a string.

> And why is para[5] not "J" but ,   ?

That's character 5 of the string.

> How can I change the data back to an array? I've tried with json,
but that doesn't change anything.

You have to parse it. I don't know what rules you used at the php
end, but at a guess, I'd start by stripping the brackets, then
splitting by comma. Then iterate through each item looking for
special cases. Each item consisting of null gets replaced by None,
each item starting with quotes gets them stripped,  and perhaps
anything else is replaced by float (item).

Still questions to ask like whether quoted item can have embedded
comma.

--
DaveA