the Gravity of Python 2

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jan 9 09:44:56 EST 2014

In article <mailman.5259.1389278063.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, the nearest parallel to Unicode is probably "use UTC
> everywhere", which makes for a superb internal representation and
> transmission format, but bugs most human beings :)

It is, by the way, the solution that the aviation industry has adopted.
All communication between aircraft and controllers is in UTC (pronounced
"zulu").  Weather reports and forecasts are in UTC.  Regulatory notices
are in UTC.  The time when one edition of a chart will be replaced by
the next edition is in UTC.

If I'm somewhere over the Atlantic, talking to a controller sitting in
Shannon, Ireland, negotiating when I'm going to be allowed to continue
on my route from New York to Istambul, the last thing I want is anybody
to be confused about timezones.