Editor for Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 8 20:51:01 EST 2014

On 1/8/2014 7:19 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 1/8/2014 3:46 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

>>> While true, ISTM in the past there have been 'leakage' related issues
>>> with idle -- are those no longer a concern?

Almost not, see below.

>> I have looked through most of the Idle issues on the tracker but do not
>> remember anything about 'leakage' (of memory?)
>
> Of names I think.
>
> As I recall it had something to do with both idle and the application
> running in the same namespace?  So the leakage was from within idle
> affecting the running of the script under development?

By default, Idle runs user code in a separate process from the Idle
process itself, and has for several years. There is a command line
option to revert to the old way (user code in the same process). Some of
us would like to remove that option (and simplify the remaining code a
bit). This option is kept mainly because connecting to the separate
process via sockets sometimes fails on some systems.

--
Terry Jan Reedy