the Gravity of Python 2

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 10:50:03 EST 2014

On 08/01/2014 15:39, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> I'm pointing out possible improvements that Python 2.8 could offer that
>> would help incremental porting efforts of applications. I'm pointing about
>> that helping application developers move forward incrementally may be a
>> worthwhile consideration. Like, there's money there.
>
> I'm not sure who's actually paying the PSF to develop a 2.8, so I'm
> not sure why you can say there's money there. Are you offering? Or do
> you have reason to believe someone else will?

There can be £1,000,000 in the PSF kitty but if the core developers
don't want to do the work it won't happen!!!

Personally I still think the whole idea of a 2.8 is nonsense that would
only serve to divert already scarce resources.  Fixing some of the 4,000
(?) open issues on the bug tracker would come higher up my list,
particularly as some of them have been sitting there for ten years.  Or
how about finally getting the "new" regex module into the standard library?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence