Trouble with UnicodeEncodeError and email

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 08:26:15 EST 2014

> I've written some tiny script using Python 3 and it used to work perfectly. Then I realized it needs to run on my Debian Stable server too, which offers only Python 2. Ok, most backporting was a matter of minutes, but I'm becoming desperate on some Unicode error...

Are you sure it does? The current Debian stable is Wheezy, which comes
with a package 'python3' in the repository, which will install 3.2.3.
(The previous Debian stable, Squeeze, has 3.1.3 under the same name.)
You may need to change your shebang, but that's all you'd need to do.
Or are you unable to install new packages? If so, I strongly recommend
getting Python 3 added, as it's going to spare you a lot of Unicode
headaches.

Mind you, I compile my own Py3 for Wheezy, since I like to be on the
bleeding edge. But that's not for everyone. :)

ChrisA