[Python-ideas] RFC: bytestring as a str representation [was: a new bytestring type?]

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue Jan 7 13:22:28 EST 2014

On 2014-01-07 17:46, Andrew Barnert wrote:
 > I think Stephen's name "7-bit" is confusing people. If you try to
 > interpret the name sensibly, you get Steven's broken interpretation.
 > But if you read it as a nonsense word and work through the logic, it
 > all makes sense.
 >
 > On Jan 7, 2014, at 7:44, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

I was thinking about Ethan's suggestion of introducing a new bytestring
class and a lot of these suggestions are what I thought the bytestring
class could do.

[snip]

 >> Suppose we take a pure-ASCII byte-string and decode it:
 >>
 >>    b'abcd'.decode('ascii-compatible')

That would be:

     bytestring(b'abcd')

or even:

     bytestring('abcd')

[snip]

 >> Suppose we take a byte-string with a non-ASCII byte:
 >>
 >>    b'abc\xFF'.decode('ascii-compatible')

That would be:

     bytestring(b'abc\xFF')

Bytes outside the ASCII range would be mapped to Unicode low
surrogates:

     bytestring(b'abc\xFF') == bytestring('abc\uDCFF')

[snip]
 >> Presumably they will compare equal, yes?
 >
 > I would hope not. One of them has the Unicode character U+FF, the
 > other has smuggled byte 0xFF, so they'd better not compare equal.
 >
 > However, the latter should compare equal to 'abc\uDCFF'. That's the
 > entire key here: the new representation is nothing but a more compact
 > way to represent strings that contain nothing but ASCII and surrogate
 > escapes.

[snip]

 >> A concrete example:
 >>
 >>    s = b'abcd'.decode('ascii-compatible')
 >>    t = 'x'  # ASCII-compatible
 >>    s + t
 >>    => returns 'abcdx', with the "7-bit repr" flag cleared.

     s = bytestring(b'abcd')
     t = 'x'  # ASCII-compatible
     s + t
     => returns 'abcdx'

 > Right. Here both s and t are normal 8-bit strings reprs in the first
 > place, so the new logic doesn't even get invoked. So yes, that's what
 > it returns.
 >
 >>    s = b'abcd'.decode('ascii-compatible')
 >>    t = 'ÿ'  # U+00FF, non-ASCII.
 >>
 >>    s + t
 >>    => returns 'abcd\uDCFF', with the "7-bit repr" flag set

     s = bytestring(b'abcd')
     t = 'ÿ'  # U+00FF, non-ASCII.
     s + t
     => returns 'abcd\xFF'

[snip]
There were also some other equivalences I was considering:

     bytestring(b'abc') == b'abc'
     bytestring(b'abc') == 'abc'

The problem there is that it wouldn't be transitive because:

     b'abc' != 'abc'