Suggested GUI framework for Mac and unix?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 17:55:40 EST 2014

On 06/01/2014 22:31, Russell E. Owen wrote:

I'm no expert on GUIs but I've just picked wxPython via the age old
system of tossing a coin :)

> I have a free cross-platform Python GUI application that has to run on
> Mac and linux. It is presently written in Tkinter, but for various
> reasons* it may be time to switch.
>
> I've heard many good things about wxpython and qt, but not used either,
> and am wondering if somebody could tell me if either (or both) would
> meet the following needs:
> -  Reliable on mac and linux. (I see that wxpython now runs under Cocoa
> but I've not seen any reports on how well that went.)

I can't comment but there's bound to be data on either the wxpython
development or users mailing lists.

> - Compatible with matplotlib.

Demo here looks good
http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2008/08/01/matplotlib-with-wxpython-guis/

> - Able to display (grayscale) images with arbitrary zoom. I currently
> use PIL with Tkinter's Canvas widget for this.
> - Compatible with a sound library for playing sound cues. I presently
> use pygame for this and have been considering switching to PySDL.
> - Compatible with Twisted Framework.
> - Prediction is hard, but indications of a long-term future would be a
> definite bonus.

 From wxpython.org "(25-Dec-2013) wxPython (classic) 3.0.0.0 has been
released. No new features but lots of bug fixes in wxWidgets and of
course the bump (finally!) up to 3.0."  See also
http://wiki.wxpython.org/ProjectPhoenix which is the port of wxpython to
support Python 3.  I'm not sure when it will be released by I believe
we're talking months.

> -- Russell

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence