"More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3"

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 16:43:06 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I find all this intriguing.  People haven't found time to migrate from
> Python 2 to Python 3, but now intend finding time to produce a fork of
> Python 2 which will ease the migration to Python 3.  Have I got that
> correct?

Keeping old, unsupported (by upstream) things up-to-date is a common
operation (e.g. this is what Red Hat does for an entire operating
system). It might take a few hours to backport a module or bugfix you
want, but updating an entire million-LOC codebase would take
significantly longer. Plus, if a benefit of backporting things is an
easier eventual migration to 3.x, it's killing two birds with one
stone.

At any rate it's not a possibility to sneer at and suggest is
improbable or a waste of time. It is a rational outcome for a codebase
of a large enough size.

-- Devin