"More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3"

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 14:30:55 EST 2014

>> Chris didn't say "bytes and ascii data", he said "bytes and TEXT".
>> Text != "ascii data", and the fact that some people apparently think it
>> does is pretty much the heart of the problem.
>
> The heart of a different problem, not this one.  The problem I refer to is
> that many binary formats have well-defined ascii-encoded text tidbits.

Really?  If people are using binary with "well-defined ascii-encoded
tidbits", they're doing something wrong.  Perhaps you think escape
characters "\n" are "well defined tidbits", but YOU WOULD BE WRONG.
The purpose of binary is to keep things raw.  WTF?  You guys are so
strange.

>> If you (generic you) don't get that, you'll have a bad time. I mean
>> *really*
>> get it, deep down in the bone. The long, bad habit of thinking as
>> ASCII-encoded bytes as text is the problem here.

I think the whole forking community is confused at because of your own
arrogance.  Foo(l)s.

markj