Which python framework?

blissend at gmail.com blissend at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 12:37:24 EST 2014

On Monday, January 6, 2014 12:09:28 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:02 AM,  <blissend at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I love programming in python but I'm having trouble deciding over a framework for a single player MUD like game I'm making for fun. Ideally it's a cross-platform free framework in case I want make it open source later with good capabilities of customizing the GUI look/style.
>

> If by "MUD-like" you mean that it's fundamentally based on scrolling
>
> text and inputted commands, you may be able to just skip the GUI
>
> altogether and use the console (print() and input()). That'd save you
>
> a lot of trouble. Alternatively, it might be worth going the other way
>
> and actually making it a MUD. Wait for a socket connection, let the
>
> user TELNET in. Your GUI would then be an actual MUD client, off the
>
> shelf, giving you all its features absolutely for free. Either way,
>
> you put zero effort into building a GUI, and you get something every
>
> bit as powerful as you could build manually.
>

> ChrisA

I suppose what I'm trying to accomplish isn't ordinary. Yes, it's fundamentally a scrolling text based game but... with input commands only as a secondary option. I'm going to design a new user experience I have in mind via a GUI that can engage users without having to type commands. This is why I'm wondering about alternatives.