[OT] Migrating from non-free programs to LibreOffice (was: "More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3")

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 11:01:16 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Yea, I think laying out a book with something like MS Word or
> LibreOffice is nuts.   Depending on her formatting needs, a
> lighter-weight mark-up language (something like asciidoc) might suite:
>
>   http://asciidoc.org/
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AsciiDoc
>
> I've used it to write a 150 page manual, and was quite happy with the
> results.  It produces DocBook XML, PDF, HTML and a few other output
> formats (Including, I think, LibreOffice/OpenOffice).  It's _much_
> easier to get started with than LaTeX. For printing purposes the
> quality of the output is no match for TeX -- but it's better than a
> "word processor", and it does a very nice job with HTML output.

Hmm. Might be useful in some other places. I'm currently trying to
push for a web site design that involves docutils/reStructuredText,
but am flexible on the exact markup system used. My main goal, though,
is to separate content from structure and style - and my secondary
goal is to have everything done as plain text files (apart from actual
images), so the source control diffs are useful :)

ChrisA