Blog "about python 3"

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Jan 5 08:55:46 EST 2014

Johannes Bauer, 05.01.2014 13:14:
> I've pushed the
> migration of *large* projects at work to Python3 when support was pretty
> early and it really wasn't a huge deal.

I think there are two sides to consider. Those who can switch their code
base to Py3 and be happy (as you did, apparently), and those who cannot
make the switch but have to keep supporting Py2 until 'everyone' else has
switched, too. The latter is a bit more work generally and applies mostly
to Python packages on PyPI, i.e. application dependencies.

There are two ways to approach that problem. One is to try convincing
people that "Py3 has failed, let's stop migrating more code before I have
to start migrating mine", and the other is to say "let's finish the
migration and get it done, so that we can finally drop Py2 support in our
new releases and clean up our code again".

As long as we stick in the middle and keep the status quo, we keep the
worst of both worlds. And, IMHO, pushing loudly for a Py2.8 release
provides a very good excuse for others to not finish their part of the
migration, thus prolonging the maintenance burden for those who already did
their share.

Maybe a couple of major projects should start dropping their Py2 support,
just to make their own life easier and to help others in taking their
decision, too.

(And that's me saying that, who maintains two major projects that still
have legacy support for Py2.4 ...)

Stefan