Blog "about python 3"

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Jan 3 09:57:48 EST 2014

In article <mailman.4850.1388752146.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/2014 09:01, Terry Reedy wrote:
> > There was more speedup in 3.3.2 and possibly even more in 3.3.3, so OP
> > should run the latter.
>
> python 3.3.3 is what I use on windows. As for astral / non-bmp etc etc that's
> almost irrelevant for the sort of tests we're doing which are mostly simple
> english text.

The sad part is, if you're accepting any text from external sources, you
need to be able to deal with astral.

I was doing a project a while ago importing 20-something million records
into a MySQL database.  Little did I know that FOUR of those records
contained astral characters (which MySQL, at least the version I was
using, couldn't handle).

My way of dealing with those records was to nuke them.  Longer term we
ended up switching to Postgress.