How to read and post tracebacks (was Registry Key Value Help)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 00:16:30 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why not write up a few lines on "How to read and post python tracebacks"
>> and post it on the wiki?
>
> You mean "copy and paste the whole output"? I'm not sure what more
> needs to be said about posting them.
>
> Reading them is a bit more complicated, but possibly _too_ complicated
> for a simple wiki post. Being able to quickly eyeball a traceback and
> know which level to look for the problem at is part of the skill of
> debugging, and it usually requires that you know the codebase fairly
> well too. Though even with unfamiliar code, it's possible to figure a
> lot out by naming conventions, which is why they're so important (all
> uppercase meaning "constant" and normally a scalar - so useful).

Something like this is what I had in mind
http://help.openerp.com/question/9704/how-to-read-and-understand-errors-from-tracebacks/

Obviously it can be written much better (and thought you could make a start :D)

[I wonder if the "please make it readable thus not thus" at end proves
or disproves Roy's point??]