Ifs and assignments

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jan 2 23:16:51 EST 2014

On 01/02/2014 04:06 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Here's a crazy idea. Suppose we have a "sticky falseness" that can
> quietly propagate through an expression the way a NaN can... then we
> could just float that right through the .group() call.
>
> class truth:
>      def __new__(cls, x):
>          if x: return x
>          return object.__new__(cls)
>      def __bool__(self):
>          return False
>      def __getattr__(self, name):
>          return self
>      def __call__(self, *args, **kwargs):
>          return self
>      def __repr__(self):
>          return repr(False)
>
> Pass any object through truth() and it'll either stay the same (if
> it's true) or become this object (if it's false). You can then carry
> on with other method calls, and they'll all happily return false.

An interesting idea.  You'd need to add (at least) __getitem__, and I'll
probably call it `maybe`, myself.  ;)

> (I'm not sure if I'm using __new__ correctly; I've never actually done
> it in production code, and the info I found online was mainly Py2
> examples. Should that be done with super(), or is that applicable only
> once there's an actual instance with a real MRO?)

I haven't tested it, but your __new__ looks fine.  The only thing you
lose by not calling super() is the inability for cooperative multiple
inheritance, except as the ultimate base class.

--
~Ethan~